That day is slowly creeping up on us but don’t be afraid of it, don’t be worried that you are going to blow your diet plan, remember cheat days are important to your bodies fat burning ability. It needs you to give it a shock and if you have been eating healthy then you don’t have to dread this day or even shy away from it. Go have fun just know how to approach it and still feel great afterwards. You will be surprised to see that you might even be a little lighter after the day as long as you go into the next day with a plan. That is what’s so great about the 21 Day Meal plan, it will get you right back on track. Here are some great tips to follow, enjoy and be thankful that you are being conscious of how you are living your life.
1. Don’t go to the Thanksgiving dinner hungry. You should eat breakfast and maybe a healthy snack as you normally would on any other day. Fill up on healthful complex carbohydrates like oatmeal, or whole grains for breakfast and protein to sustain you until lunch. If you notice that you are getting hungry well before the meal is served, have a healthy snack such as an ounce of almonds, edamame, fresh fruit, or veggies or a green smoothie. Do not go to the dinner table ravished or you’ll end up eating too much too quickly. Starving yourself all day before the big meal will send your metabolism for a ride – a SLOW ride, making it more difficult to burn calories after the big meal.
2. Pace yourself though dinner. Once you sit down to eat, try to pace yourself by placing your fork down between bites. The slower you eat, the more aware you will become of your body’s needs and the less likely you will overindulge. It takes up to 20 minutes for your stomach to send a message to your brain indicating that you are full. Eat slowly and savor every bite so that you do not miss your body’s cue that you’ve reached your limit. You’ll be able to savor your food and feel satisfied with less calories.
3. Make sure you show up to dinner hydrated. Burning calories requires an adequate amount of water. Being dehydrated slows down your body’s fat burning capabilities making it harder to burn calories following your holiday meal. Be sure to drink plenty of water on the days leading up to the big dinner to keep your metabolism revved. Also drink at least a glass of water prior to your meal so again you won’t overindulge and then again after.
4. Be mindful of your portions. Being aware of your portions will give you an advantage when it comes to maintaining your weight. Take a moment to survey the foods available before you make your choices. Serve a smaller portion of the foods you want using a smaller plate. Doing so will psychologically give you the same feeling as eating from a full size dinner plate. You’ll still enjoy trying many foods without the extra calories. Don’t deprive yourself of the foods you love. Doing so will only increase your cravings and you’ll be more likely to indulge, just take smaller portions.
5. Have all the turkey you want, just remove the skin. Turkey breast is a great low-fat protein choice. Just make sure your turkey is baked, not deep fried and take the time to remove the skin before you eat it. A four ounce serving of turkey has only 153 calories and 34 grams of quality protein and zero carbs. Try to fill up on turkey and veggies before hitting the desserts.
6. Don’t weigh yourself down with tempting leftovers. If you are hosting the dinner this year do yourself a favor and send every guest home with a plate of leftovers. You don’t need tons of left over ham, gravy, potatoes, and heavy macaroni and cheese calling you from the refrigerator for days to come. Divide up left over cakes and pies and make sure you see all of it walk out the door! If you want to keep some turkey and veggies that’s fine you can always make some yummy leftover meals with that, everything else needs to go.
7. Plan an activity following dinner that encourages your friends and family to get up and moving. Sure, there are some people you will not be able to drag away from the football game but offer to lead anyone interested on a walk around the neighborhood or to a nearby park. You could organize a game of touch football in the backyard, toss the frisbee or set up croquet course. Just get moving! Then come to class ready to move it on Monday, we will amp it up a bit to help you lose those extra calories you might have added over the weekend. So be ready to sweat. According to USA today, a 45 minute boot camp workout burns more calories than moderate or vigorous weight training or walking at 3.5 miles per hour for 45 minutes.
So there you go, now you can put your mind at ease and enjoy Thanksgiving.